Being strategic about your home’s garden can help to keep pesky insects away! We figure, why not choose plants that are beautiful but serve an important purpose, too? In this handy guide, we include a list of common insects along with plants that help repel them, AND a guide to some of the best nurseries in the West Valley!
- Plants to Repel Mosquitoes: Lavender, Visa, Marigold, Peppermint, Basil, Lemon Balm, Lemon Thyme, Common Lantana, Fever Tea, Lime Basil, Stone Root
- Plants to Repel Spiders: Peppermint
- Plants to Repel Bees, Hornets, & Wasps: Wormwood, Mint, Eucalyptus, Citronella
- Plants to Repel Flies: Lavender, Basil, Wormwood, Tansy
- Plants to Repel Cockroaches: Chrysanthemum, Catnip
- Plants to Repel Ants: Peppermint, Chrysanthemum, Spearmint, Catnip, Tansy
- Plants to Repel Termites: Catnip, Vetiver Grass (more research still needed on effectiveness of these plants)
- Plants to Repel Fleas, Ticks, or Mites: Rosemary, Chrysanthemum, Spearmint, Coriander, Dill, Lavender
Now that you might have a better idea of what types of plants to look for, here is our guide to 10 of the best West Valley nurseries (organized by town)!
- Located at 4421 S. Jackrabbit Trail Buckeye, AZ 85326
With over 40 years of collective experience in horticulture, the staff at Jackrabbit Nursery can help you create that perfect landscape. From cacti to citrus plants and large shade trees, you can find everything you need to complete your garden or give your backyard a final touch. Whether you have a question about planting in a desert climate or have a vision you want to bring to life, Jackrabbit Nursery is the place to go.
- Located at 15995 W. Northern Ave. Litchfield Park, AZ 85340
A truly unique nursery, Marbil Nursery Creations grows only Desert Museum Palo Verde trees. Each Desert Museum is a rooted cutting, so not only do they grow lusher and quicker than grafted trees, but there is also no need to worry about rootstock suckers overtaking your landscape. If you’re looking for top-quality Desert Museums for the best price in the industry, look no further than Marbil Nursery.
PHOENIX & GLENDALE
- Located at 17826 N. Tatum Blvd. Phoenix, AZ 85032; 6426 W. Bell Road
Glendale, AZ 85308
For your every gardening need, no place beats the SummerWinds Nursery. Here, they offer a wide variety of year-round and seasonal plants, trees, and shrubs, plus a blog and other endless resources on choosing and growing a successful garden in the desert climate of the Metro Phoenix area. Whether you’re just starting out or just want a few tips here and there, SummerWinds can help you out.
- Located at 3015 N. 16th St. Phoenix, AZ 85016
Another great learning opportunity awaits at Dig It Urban Gardens & Nursery. Here, you can participate in events and classes that will teach you everything from the basics of plant arrangements to new techniques that will help you get the most out of your garden. You can check out and register for classes and events at Dig It here.
- Located at 8606 W. McDowell Rd. Phoenix, AZ 85037
If you’re in the market for a high-quality tree, you will love the selection at the Elgin Nursery & Tree Farm. They have over 35 acres of production area filled with a wide variety of trees and other plants, plus a one-year warranty on all purchases. With delivery options and a knowledgeable staff on hand, you are sure to be 100% satisfied at the Elgin Nursery.
- Located at 214 E. Roosevelt St. Central City, AZ 85004
Started at a farmers market booth in 2015, the Bosque is now the premier and only plant shop in downtown Phoenix. Not only do they sell an array of unique plants perfect for a home or office, but they also feature a selection of local art and pottery, mounted insects, prints, and other eclectic home goods. Offering interior design services and an atmosphere that can’t be beat, the Bosque is a Roosevelt Row staple.
- Located at 4300 N. Central Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85012
Serving as an agricultural experience, Agave Farms hopes to become a keystone in the move towards positive change in upper and downtown Phoenix. Offering mix soils, plants, and produce, plus a community garden where residents can gather for events and educational workshops, Agave Farms has not only provided more opportunities for those living in the area to become sustainable, but has also beautified an otherwise unkempt property and added value to the surrounding community. If you want to be a part of a positive, sustainable movement, visit Agave Farms today.
- Located at 4302 S. Central Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85040
For a tropical paradise in the middle of the desert, check out a Tropical Concept Nursery. Mango, banana, strawberry, peruvian apple, and many other plants are available for purchase, and a few are even planted on-site to give you a sneak peek at how yours will grow. Also serving as a sanctuary for rescue animals, a Tropical Concept is an absolute must-see.
- Located at 11150 W. Beardsley Rd. Sun City, AZ 85373
Family owned and operated, Linden Tree Nursery has been serving the west valley for over 29 years. They feature an 8-acre show yard and 16-acre growing yard with everything from annual color to herbs, shrubs, and citrus. While you’re there, be sure to stop by The Yard Sale at Linden Tree, where you can purchase antiques, gardening supplies, and other decor to give your garden that personal touch.
- Located at 16671 N. Dysart Rd. Surprise, AZ 85378-3705
For Arizona’s largest selection of cacti, take a look at the Saguaro Country Nursery. Specializing in cacti and succulents, Saguaro features a wide selection of beautiful and unique plants perfect for giving your backyard that authentic desert vibe. If you’re a cactus fan, you will love this nursery.
Have a question about living in the West Valley Area?
Get in touch!